I was nominated for a Liebster Award by the lovely Paige at Fit, Not Fad, The Nenja, Rebecca at the Gilded SunFlower, and a long time ago by Lindsay at a Runnaroundd Life, (which I totally dropped the ball on, sorry dear). This is really exciting and I’m trying to get better at answering questions! So, here we go!
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I swam in high school from freshman-junior year. Then, I was asked to join cross-country so my track performance could improve. Little did my coach know that he would take me to the ER three (3!!!) times that year in between cross country and track.
2. I dislocated my shoulder during my track season senior year and it’s still kind of funky.
3. I was on the Novice Women’s Crew team at my college during the fall semester of freshman year. That was the most fun ever! I was so sad when I couldn’t return due to back-to-back surgeries.
4. I got into yoga & pilates when I was in college, but never joined a studio until my third year of teaching (about 5 years later).
5. I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, but didn’t know what content I should teach until my sophomore year of college.
6. I met my husband at our shared job at our university’s law school and started hanging out with him because I offered to tutor him in French. It worked, by the way. 🙂
7. I am really scared of the yoga pose “flipping the dog“. See #2: funky shoulder.
8. I ran my first half-marathon in honor of our first wedding anniversary (it was the same weekend).
9. I’m really looking forward to the day when we are able to buy a house so I can (a) live out my Pinterest dreams and (b) get a dog!
10. I really like Gordon Ramsay shows – Hell’s Kitchen & Masterchef are our favorites! Thank goodness for Hulu.
11. Mike Birbiglia is my absolute favorite comedian.
11 Questions from Paige:
1. If you could live anywhere other than where you are right now, where would you live?
Milwaukee, WI. My college hometown and one of the best cities in the world!
2. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Going out for fro yo. We’re now a 10 minute walk, so it’s even more dangerous!
3. What is one goal you have for your future?
I’m hoping that I’ll still be teaching in my content area, although I would maybe like to try another grade level (currently at 9th grade).
4. What is your favorite recipe that you have posted on your blog? If you don’t post many recipes, what is your favorite post that you have written?
5. What is your favorite vacation spot?
Domestically, I really loved going to Estes Park to hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was so pretty! Internationally, I’d have to say Edinburgh, Scotland was AMAZING.
6. What is one of your favorite hobbies?
Hobbies? What’s that? Haha. I think I’ll have to say that cooking is becoming more of a hobby than a chore. Especially when it’s photo-worthy. 😉
7. What is your greatest accomplishment to date?
Running a marathon. Hands down.
8. What made you want to start a blog?
I really enjoy writing and I honestly think being in your 20’s is a rough time. I’d really like to utilize my blog more to explore being in my 20’s and so I’ll have a way to remember it later in life.
9. Chocolate or vanilla?
19. What is your favorite book? (Or magazine, or blog to read, if you don’t read many books)
I love Jen Lancaster to death. Her latest, Two of Martha was hilarious!
11. How did you become interested in aspects of healthy living (fitness, healthy foods, running, etc)?
After my first year of teaching and getting married, I knew I wasn’t in the best shape. So, I decided to do a triathlon. It felt so great and empowering, but then I gained 10-ish more pounds after it! I felt pretty gross after that and decided to lose the weight and get healthy for a lifetime. Since then, I’ve fallen in love with running and trying to cook healthy but delicious food. I also don’t deprive myself (anymore) of fun stuff like alcohol and ice cream, but that stuff is definitely in moderation. I’m really interested in trying CrossFit soon.
10 Questions from The Nenja
1. How did you pick your blog’s name?
You can read more about that here. 🙂
2. What’s your favorite book?
The Tao of Martha & Such a Pretty Fat (both by Jen Lancaster) are the best.books.ever.
3. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever gotten?
Don’t try to find fulfillment in this job. Find that from your family. – My cooperating teacher while student teaching.
4. What’s your favorite recipe you make?
5. What song is currently on repeat in your brain? (Or iPod)
Depending on what I’m doing, it’s either “Light ’em Up” by Fall Out Boy (running) or my Mumford & Sons Pandora station (working).
6. Do you have a style icon? Who is it?
Probably Rachel Bilson. So chic but comfortable!
7. What’s your favorite feature about yourself?
My eyes. They’re pretty.
8. What’s your favorite thing to post about on your blog?
Food and clothes. I’m trying to dress better this year and I LOVE to eat!
9. What’s your favorite post on my blog?
I’m not sure, they’re all pretty great. 🙂
10. How to do you spread the word about your blog?
Twitter, Facebook, shameless self-promotion
11 Questions from Rebecca
And the 11 nominees are…
7. Love, Leigh
10. Back to Bliss
How to “play”:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger;