We might try to eat more plant-based meals, but there are some days where you just need some meat. Specifically, some beef. (This, by the way, the beauty of being “flexitarian”.) C and I also really love Chinese food, but most soy sauce has wheat in it, so ordering Chinese food is sometimes a gamble. But this? Is amazing. Scrumptious chunks of top sirloin steak coated with corn starch for a crispy coating with mushrooms, onions, and kale swimming in a delish soy sauce gravy.
Mongolian Beef with Kale, Mushrooms, and Onion (Serves 4)
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (or sesame oil), divided
- 0.5 pound top sirloin (or other lean beef), cut into bite size chunks
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4-6 cups of kale, torn into large chunks with stems discarded
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced into thin strips against the curve
- 8 oz mushrooms (stems included), cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (I use La Choy Lite)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine steak and corn starch and shake to coat the beef.
- In a large saute pan (mine is at least 12 in. in diameter), brown the beef so that the corn starch becomes crispy. Some pink is still okay. When done, put back into bowl with excess corn starch.
- After the beef is out, put an additional tablespoon of oil in pan. Add onion, cook for 5 minutes, Then, add kale and cook until just wilted. Then, add the mushrooms. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- After the mushrooms soften a bit, add the water, soy sauce, brown sugar and spices. Stir to combine well. Simmer for two minutes.
- Add steak and excess starch to pan and allow the corn starch to thicken up the soy sauce mixture. This should take about five minutes.
- Serve over brown rice.
See that huge chunk of bread? C is “carbo-loading” constantly. It’s hilarious. A couple of weeks ago, we went out to dinner with a friend and after we were done eating, he asked, “So, after this, can we get some food?” I thought he was kidding, but he wasn’t. He is constantly hungry and the amount of bread-products he’s consuming is unreal.