I love a good bowl of soup. As evidenced here, here, and here. It’s the ultimate version of comfort food to me (until I perfect the ultimate gluten free mac and cheese, that is). While in Auch, I’ve had a lot of time to think and relax…and sometimes I’ve gotten a little homesick. But then I look at the weather and am relieved to not be there:
Did you know, that even though I’ve grown up in the Midwest, I’ve never been in a tornado situation? (And I’d like to keep it that way.) I guess while we’ve been gone, there was tornado by where we live. Yikes! Anyways, back to comfort food…
A creamy, starchy broth surround pieces of sweet sausage, carrots, green beans, and onions. A hint of garlic and basil really bring out the luciousness of the dish. We went back for
Sausage Potato Soup – Serves 2-4
Created by Coffee & Macarons
- 2-3 cups of mashed potatoes, prepared however you like
- 0.5-1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 lb of sausage, uncased
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 0.5 inch rounds
- 1 cup of green beans, cut into 1 inch segments
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced or minced
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I recommend unsweetened almond milk or skim milk)
- Dried basil, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Prepare mashed potatoes in a medium sized pot (I did this the morning of and left the pot in the fridge all day)
- In a large saute pan, cook the sausage, butter carrots, green beans, and onion and cook until onions are in between translucent and transparent.
- Add the garlic, cook for one more minute.
- Then, combine the sausage mixture and mashed potatoes in the potato pot- do not stir.
- To the pot, add in the liquids (broth and milk), stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until all the way heated through.
- Season to taste with basil, salt, and pepper.
- Serve with a slice of multigrain gluten free bread (her) or a baguette (him).