When the husband is away, the wife will be…vegetarian?
C is in Minnesota attending the spring conference for his SSRC cohort. His honey-do list for me was to pack up some of my stuff, pack up the kitchen, drop stuff off at the storage unit, and go through old boxes. Some of that has gotten done. I need to get other stuff done before he gets home tomorrow.
We have been “flexitarian” for almost 4 weeks now and I am LOVING it. It’s been more of an adjustment for the husband, but I think he is starting to buy into it. He ate vegetarian for most of the conference he’s been at! On my way home tonight from running errands, I was trying to think of what I could do with the kale in my fridge and I started dreaming up this dish.
- 8 oz. pasta (I used TJ Gluten Free Corn Penne)
- 1.5-2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 leaves of kale, ripped into bite size pices
- 8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Start making pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized saute pan. Add garlic and tomatoes.
- When tomatoes burst, add kale and stir until the kale is wilted.
- Once kale is completely wilted, set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms with salt and pepper. You may want to add another 0.5 tblsp of olive oil here.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked (about 5 minutes), add the kale/tomato mixture back to pan and stir to reheat.
- Add almond milk. Squish the tomatoes so some of the juices run into the milk. Reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Mix the sauce and pasta together and serve.
This should serve 3 people. But, I may have eaten it all in 3 servings. Oops.