I’ve decided that one of my best skills is complaining about the weather. And, at this point in the year, I know I’m not alone. Too wet, too cold, crazy hot for two days, then back to cold and wet. Can’t we just have a couple of nice 75 and sunny days before we leave? Please?
Anywho…because the weather has been so cold and wet, it’s still soup weather in my mind. Well, I take that back. It’s always soup weather at my house. And, since I’m really pushing the vegetarian/flexitarian agenda, I combined a couple of recipes to make Vegetable Dumpling Soup. Yum!
GF/DF Veggie Dumpling Soup (contains eggs and soy) – Serves 3-4
Adapted from Simply Life Blog and Betty Crocker
- 2 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/3″ rounds
- 3 sticks of celery, cut into 1/3″ moons
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay-leaves
- 32 oz (1 box) of low-sodium vegetable stock
- Oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup of GF Bisquick
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tblsp butter, melted
- Saute onions, celery, carrots, and potato in the olive oil in a large-ish soup pot (~5 min).
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute.
- Add stock, spices and bay leaves and bring to a slow boil. Turn heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the dumplings by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl. With a tablespoon, make dumpling balls (should make 13 dumplings).
- After the 10 minute period, add the dumplings to the soup pot and bring back to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle into a bowl with three dumplings and enjoy!