OH HI! I survived today! The first day back at school went surprisingly well. It seemed as though the kids were either well-rested or too tired to care. I was wrong about my absent count though – only three were absent! That was awesome.
Because we were on vacation up until the end of vacation, there was a definite lack of desire to go to the store after being in the car for 4+ hours. It became my goal to cook with whatever I could find in the freezer and pantry. I did pretty well last night. And, I found breakfast sausage and 7 eggs in the fridge for today. But, I caved and went to the store to buy some green stuff after my workout tonight. C was impressed. He says I do a better job when I improvise. Heck.yes.
Crustless Sausage Veggie Quiche
- 1lb. original breakfast sausage, de-cased
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp plain cream cheese
- ~2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large frying pan, brown the breakfast sausage for 5 minutes. Add in the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are almost clear.
- While sausage is cooking, crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk until fluffy. Add in the cream cheese and whisk until the cream cheese is no longer in one large chunk.
- When the sausage mixture is done, temper the mixture into the eggs. Leave the grease from the sausage in the pan.
- Saute the spinach in the leftover sausage grease. Add into the egg/sausage mixture.
- Pour the quiche mixture into a cast-iron pan. If you don’t have a cast-iron pan, feel free to use any other oven safe pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Top with cheddar if so desired.
Off to go enjoy a small bowl of Ben and Jerry’s Creme Brulee ice cream and watch an episode of Hell’s Kitchen before bed.